Featured Post

Tastes like ... what??

When our son Ben was a toddler, he was struggling to learn colors, and to develop new food tastes. One day as we pared pieces of a golden de...

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Snow extreme

I was fortunate (I think) to arrive in Baltimore yesterday before the weather was at its worse. Unfortunately, I was on the interstate during the height of the snowfall and ice.

Personally I don't mind driving in snow. I've been doing it since I began driving as a teen. What I do mind, though, are the other drivers on the road. A few out-takes, lightly edited, from my internal dialog as I headed west on I-70.

"This Ford Taurus rental is BAD on slippery roads. Big, heavy, poor traction, and yet comfortable enough to not always realize how poorly it's connected to the road."

"Gee, that car that is now in the ditch almost ran into my passenger side door doing about 65 mph."

"I don't care if you have no regard for your own life, buddy, but I have a wife and three kids at home. Have some regard for mine!"

"Mr semi-driver, are you familiar with the concept 'jack-knife'?"

"That Ford Astro is going way too fast . . . look at him spin . . . smack - into the concrete median . . . bounce into the left lane of traffic . . . stop in the path of that tractor trailer - I hope it can get by him."

"My head is killing me. This is the most stressful drive I've had in, well, maybe ever."

"Would you either slow down or speed up or at least be steady? Repeated touching of brakes exponentially increases your chances of spinning out and taking the rest of us with you."

"That driver must really be from Florida."

How thankful I was to make it to my overnight destination without incident. As I get ready to head back out today, I am hoping that the roads have had a bit of time to clear, and that the crazy drivers will decide to stay home and watch the pro-bowl (although who really wants to watch that?).

Thank God for a beautiful snowfall, for a safe journey, and for the chance to move into the adventures of a new day.

1 comment:

  1. i liked it i think..... not sure about yellow snow.....but its the thought that counts

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation. While anonymous posts are allowed, they go against the spirit of this blog and open, honest conversation.