Featured Post

Tastes like ... what??

When our son Ben was a toddler, he was struggling to learn colors, and to develop new food tastes. One day as we pared pieces of a golden de...

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Calling and work

In July I began a new job. Recently I was asked how it was going. After a little thought, I responded that it's "not the job I signed up for." And that's true. At the time I thought I was joining the staff of a fiscally sound and potentially growing ministry department. None of us anticipated the depth of the economic recession and its impact on investment earnings and the charitable giving that we rely on to meet our budget.

So instead of expanding and initiating new and creative ministries, I've found myself in a position to help determine how we can scale back and stay within our financial means. I recognize that this is a common story in our world today, but not exactly what I signed on to do.

While the work is very difficult and downright unpleasant at times, however, and while it's not the job that I thought I was signing on for, there is one thing that has not changed. I'm still clear about what my calling is.

My calling is not tied to my job. Whatever the circumstances I find myself in, the overarching purpose for my work remains the same: to equip the church to train disciples to join in God's transforming work in the world.

It doesn't matter what the economic conditions are, or what the unexpected challenges are of the job. The calling is going fine; it hasn't changed a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation. While anonymous posts are allowed, they go against the spirit of this blog and open, honest conversation.