Featured Post

Tastes like ... what??

When our son Ben was a toddler, he was struggling to learn colors, and to develop new food tastes. One day as we pared pieces of a golden de...

Monday, February 9, 2009

Distracting Shell

I usually avoid Shell gas stations, but this morning I needed to refill a rental car and it was the station on the way. I don't think I'll stop again any time soon. It has nothing to do with the gasoline, although there are some issues with their practices. No, it's simply because I found my experience there to add a level of chaos to my life that I really didn't need.

Shell is one of those stations with the television screens over the pumps. As I started pumping, I was thinking about a number of things related to my day, and then this screen lit up and the speakers started blaring out commentary. I don't even know what was on the screen, only that I was totally annoyed by this intrusion into my thoughts.

What are the limits to external stimuli in our culture? Apparently none. The amount of distraction in our world is astounding. Radios, TVs, cell phones (and their users), traffic, conversation, billboards, signs, mail; you know what I'm talking about.

I've started turning the radio off in my car. It's one of the few places where I can get a few minutes of relative peace and quiet. And I can't wait to get back in the car after pumping gas, for the last time, at Shell!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation. While anonymous posts are allowed, they go against the spirit of this blog and open, honest conversation.