Featured Post

Tastes like ... what??

When our son Ben was a toddler, he was struggling to learn colors, and to develop new food tastes. One day as we pared pieces of a golden de...

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Silence

For one hour this afternoon I was able to be in the chapel and remain in uninterrupted prayer. For a father of three, husband, church executive, and participant in a pretty furiously-paced life, the time was a welcome gift. I know that I should be making regular commitments to practicing prayer in this form. When given the opportunity, it restores my soul. But the reality is that I'm not very good at finding the space for solitude.

It's not that I don't pray. In fact I've cultivated breath prayer and prayerful presence as a mechanism for "redeeming" the frenetic pace of life. But it's not the same as periods of silence and solitude.

The 46th Psalm directs: Be still, and know that I am God! The stillness is not just a break from the hectic pace of life, but it is a form of knowing God. A strong case for practicing the art of solitude and silence.

I'm grateful for the gift of today. I will be longing for and creating other spaces in my life for such stillness and knowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation. While anonymous posts are allowed, they go against the spirit of this blog and open, honest conversation.