Featured Post

Tastes like ... what??

When our son Ben was a toddler, he was struggling to learn colors, and to develop new food tastes. One day as we pared pieces of a golden de...

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Parade or parody?

Today we went to our town's 4th of July parade. I'm glad we went. It was fun and gave us some great insight into our community. The highlights were the Asian dancers, the high school marching bands (go Larkin!), the old cars and lots of diverse families lining the streets. There were also some things that raised questions for me.

How can we celebrate the blessings of our country without equating such privilege primarily with the military? It seemed that much of the parade was lifting up military personnel and politicians, the primary players in war-making. What would a parade that celebrates the unique freedoms and ingenuity of our nation look like? How could we celebrate the birth of our country with appropriate recognition that it was inaugurated through a bloody, violent, and self-righteous sequence of events? We seem to be stuck in such an "all or nothing" rut in terms of non-critically celebrating or being categorized as anti-American. Not so on either account.

The parade also had more than its share of churches participating. I'm glad to see our community's churches trying to make an impact. But I was left wondering what the effect of their parading would be. Do our churches really think that by marching together wearing ears, noses and whiskers that the "unchurched" will want to join their journey? Or that by rolling a stained glass windowed bellfry with a cross on it down the street that parade-goers will be motivated to take up the cross and follow Jesus?

And then there are social activists: environmentalists, peace advocates, political reformists, and health care whistle blowers. Again, I'm actually sympathetic to each of these causes, but I question the effectiveness of trying to out-shout the marching bands with one's war opposition, or pulling your float with a Hummer H3 while advocating political reforms, or driving a school bus (even a bio diesel one) while challenging our environmental practices. Paradox all over the place; I just wonder how many of the participants see these ironies themselves. It's clear that those looking on see them.

Finally, I was astounded at how the two and a half hour parade was basically a mile-long commercial. From towing companies, to various city departments, to gymnastics and karate academies, to politicians, to nut makers, to towing companies (did I mention this already?), to secret societies, to local eating establishments, it seemed that we were given invitation after invitation to help improve the economy. Apparently we've become so outrageously commercialized that even our holiday parades are for sale.

Ooops, one more thing: Candy. Everyone was throwing candy to kids and adults alike. I mean everyone. Guess that's a way to ensure future business for our two major hospitals...

I know this post sounds like a summer scrooge. Perhaps I really am at heart. But the joy of today for me is found in the freedom to write this blog, to think and speak critically about the community that I am a part of, and to do so from my second property (because my first property is still suffering from the real estate depression).

Really though, the joy of today is in spending it with my family, napping on the sofa, hearing/smelling/feeling the rain water the earth, and knowing that my earthly residence is a great place (the United States of America) but that when it really comes to citizenship, my primary allegiances are to Jesus Christ and the other way of living to which he welcomes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation. While anonymous posts are allowed, they go against the spirit of this blog and open, honest conversation.